Monday, November 5, 2012

A father?

Tonight as I was scrolling through good ol' Facebook I came upon a status update that really struck a nerve with me. As I am reading this girls update about how every little girl deserves a daddy to love and protect them and to call them his princess but how she had never had that, in fact her dad did the opposite, made her feel unsafe and was always commenting about her weight. My heart literally ached while reading this.

It is true. For a little girl, a daddy is crucial to how she will grow up and how she will feel about herself. Not only that but a daddy should set the tone for how any other man in her future should treat her.

I am utterly and undeservingly blessed with a dad who came home from work and played with my sister and I. Who kissed us and hugged us. Who coached our softball teams. Who even (and I found this out way later in life) delayed a house payment in order to pay for the sport that I was in that required traveling. You may say I was spoiled (and believe me I've been called that before) but my parents did everything in their power to create a life of love and stableness for my sister and myself. And I could never thank them enough.

In less than a month I will be 25 and I still don't understand why God gave me a devoted father and loving mother (I certainly did nothing to deserve it) but I'm eternally grateful that he did.

But my heart aches for all the little and even old girls/woman out there who have pathetic "dads" and working with teenagers I've heard it all. Rape, abandonment, abuse, addicts, work-a-holics... You name it I've heard the story.

To all the dads out there,

Be your kids number one fan. Besides God and your wife don't put ANYTHING or ANYONE in front of them. Even after a long day of work and all you want to do is relax... Spend TIME with them. You can never over use "I love you." When your kid talks to you, listen. Be your kids hero. And it will mold them into who they will become. In a world full of dead beat dads be the example.

To all the unfathered girls,

I'm so sorry that you got the short end of the stick. I'm sorry that you didn't have someone to protect you. I'm sorry that you never had someone say to you that you mean the world to them. I'm sorry that you never had a dad that called you his princess. Im so terrible sorry that a man who was supposed to be your hero left a void in your heart. And while I realize that nothing can ever change that, you should realize that even though your earthly father was/is a coward, you have a Heavenly Father that loves you more than even you can fathom. His love is never ending and there is NOTHING you can do to take his love away. He died for you. He is the king which makes you the princess. If you allow him he can fill the emptiness in your heart and give you a joy that you've never know before. He watches over you and protects you. Just give him a chance!

Until next time
GodisLove
-Laura-Ashley



No comments:

Post a Comment