Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Teenagers

Today I was skimming through Facebook and I came upon a long status from a lady that I know. I almost didn't read it because I was in a hurry but I read the words youth pastors and I knew she had gone to my parents youth group. It was a long status about how she appreciated that my parents didn't lecture her or point out her flaws but instead loved her and looked her straight in the eyes and encouraged her. She went on to say that "it changed who she became"

Two things:
1. I'm so grateful to have parents who truly love people. Who see the best in everyone. I love that someone can walk in the room and while everybody might have written them off they would/do see the potential in people. I want to be like that! I want to always see the good in people.

2. It seems like a lot of adults these days sort of think that this generation is "going to hell in a hand basket" that all teenagers are up to no good and that they just can't be trusted. I'm sort of sick of it. The problem these days is not the teenagers, it's the adults who have labeled them "troublemakers." Teenagers will ALWAYS rise to the expectation you set for them. If you have a teenager, set the bar high for them. Don't say to yourself that's an unrealistic goal. If YOU believe in them they will rise to the challenge. Love on and encourage a young person. Maybe you don't have any teenagers, you'd be surprised at how many teenagers there are out there who don't have parents who care about them. Show them some love. Stop telling them everything they do WRONG and encourage them to do what's RIGHT.

Because you never know, it might not only change who they are... But who they become.

Spoken out of working with teenagers for 10+ years now. Late night thoughts.

Until next time.
GodisLove
-Laura-Ashley

12 comments:

  1. Hey there! Your little one is adorable! So it your blog! Following you now from the GFC hop :) Hope you'll stop by next friday for my Find + Follow Friday hop! Love to have you :D

    -Nicole @ http://meandthem00n.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from the GFC Hop! Super cute blog!
    Misty @ http://monkeysandtutus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very powerful words. I like to set the bar high even now. That way, it can be even higher when they become teenagers. :) I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love everything about this post! It's so true. I also try to see the good in everyone! Stopping by from the GFC Hop! Loving your blog. Say hello to your newest follower from Texas! I'm so excited to read more from you.

    If you have time, stop on by my blog and say hello!
    Ali @ All Things Pink & Sparkly
    http://alizabethxoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a great post! I'm your newest follower from Melissa's blog! I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say next! :)

    Katlyn
    thedreamymeadow.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always appreciated that my parents loved, loved, loved the youth of my church, when I was growing up, and now, my younger siblings' friends. My parents always made our friends welcome in our home, which seems so different from the type of parenting we too often hear of--parents who don't know their kid's teen friends or consider them an annoyance to have in the home.
    Teens can really be a blessing, and I'm happy that I had parents who recognized that too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a new follower! Found you on a linkup :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. found u thru the GFC follower hop at naptime review and now follow thru GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New GFC follower from the GFC blog hop. Hope you can stop by to say hello at http://Menopausalmother.blogspot.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post!

    I'm following you now on GFC- love a follow back! Love for you to join us at Weekend Blog Walk this weekend- starting Friday at noon. http://www.athometake2.com

    Hope to see you there!
    Jessica @ At Home Take 2

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not agree more! Such a wonderful post. I too want to be the kind of person who gives others a chance even when everyone else has written them off. It's a wonderful feeling when someone believes in you. I am so happy to have found you through the GFC Blog Hop and am your newest follower! Have a fantastic week!!!

    -Stephanie
    stephanie-shear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an inspiring and well-written and refreshing post! New follower from the GFC Blog Hop :)

    ReplyDelete